Wednesday, November 23, 2016

ART FROM THE ROAD: Sunday Postcard Art (11-20-16)

The Sunday Postcard Art challenge this week is hosted by Carol who has chosen SAINTS/ICONS as the theme. I am not Catholic but, from time to time, I will admit to having called upon Saint Anthony when I was looking for something! I am also familiar with Saint Mary and Saint Christopher but wanted to choose a saint with whom I was not already familiar.

I did a bit of research and found that Elizabeth Ann Seton was the first native-born citizen of the United States to be canonized by the Roman Catholic Church! Best known as Mother Seton, she is said to be, among others, the Patron Saint of children near death, in-law problems, loss of parents, opposition of Church authorities, those ridiculed for their piety and, significantly, of Catholic schools.


The image is from an internet search which I trimmed and created my own background from a scrap of paper in my stash. The photograph was taken on the grounds of the Desert Gardens RV Resort in Florence, Arizona, where Russ and I have been staying this past week.

Thanks, Carol, for a great challenge! If you would like to participate, you can find the details here.

I am pleased you came by today and thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment. Both are appreciated!

Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love this and hearing about a Saint with whom I was also unfamiliar! I have been enjoying your travelogue on FB so much and that you chose to present a Saint affiliated with one of your travel sites makes it doubly precious! Thank you Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Mother Seton had a lot of people to look after in her Sainthood, didn't she? I'm guessing she did a lot of charitable things in her real life as well.

    Although I haven't said previously, I'm really enjoying your travels across the USA with Russ. What an adventure you are both having, along with Jake, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I did not know that... thanks for that little bit of history. Such an elegant card you made in her honour too. Beautiful Kay <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Kay, I am so happy you had time to join in this week.

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely picture and looks great on your background! I learned something too, thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful interpretation of the challenge, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic postcard, Kay! Your background patterned paper perfectly compliments the photo of Mother Seton. I love the effect of the dark image against the dark paper, illuminated by the touches of white: fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment! Your kind words are appreciated and serve as inspiration to me.